Tuesday 19 August 2008

Eagles Of Death Metal Get Serious On New LP, Probably Thanks To Tattoo Artist Kat Von D





Jesse "The Devil" Hughes has a more interesting life than you. And why shouldn't he?


Dude's in a critically praised rock and roll band called Eagles of Death Metal with his best acquaintance, Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme. He loves Los Angeles, and he kicks it around Hollywood with the likes of Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl, director Liam Lynch and Jack Black. He's a self-proclaimed philanderer, loves the drink and has a cell speech sound full of pictures of women in various stages of undress.


But perhaps he's been having overly much fun.


"When we were [recording] at Sound City Studios, I establish it selfsame easy to get drunk and stay put there," Hughes recently told MTV News. "I also found it easy to amuse my friends. Joshua, any time he's low, I just want to make him happy, and nothing delights him more than than seeing me on Rollerblades. One night I got sh--faced, and, long story short, when the head of Sound City, one of the preeminent recording studios, wakes you up at 7 in the morning in their upstairs parking lot, and you're wearing nothing merely a tank top, cutoffs and Rollerblades, you've got f---ing problems."


While that's the Hughes his friends � and this reporter � know and love, there's also a rarely seen, more serious side to the Eagles of Death Metal frontman. Fans will finally get a probability to hear that side on the band's extroverted album, Heart On, which will feature of speech a guest spot from well-known tattoo artisan Kat Von D (star of A&E's "L.A. Ink").


Heart On hits stores October 21. The record album is, in Hughes' run-in, "an essay on the joys of rock and roll," merely it's partly about brokenheartedness, too. Hughes wouldn't thumb the bird who broke his pump � non by name, anyway.


"I was rolling with a certain Hollywood figure who may or english hawthorn not have been aforementioned as a guest vocaliser on this record, and this tattoo artist I was rolling with, in order to keep her in my life as my booster, it meant the end of the potential for another aspect of our relationship, so it was more of a disappointment," Hughes aforesaid. "That's the worst kind of brokenheartedness, in a way, because it was the heartache of organism an adult. It was the grief not of having someone sh-- on you or break up with you, but the heartbreak of having to go, 'F---, I love you, and we can't do this.' "


Hughes' despair is most evident on the track "Now I'm a Fool." He said that while hanging backstage before a QOTSA gig non too long ago, Homme told him that he wanted Hughes to write a song reminiscent of Beck's "Already Dead." Then he got a call from the object of his affection.


"I get off the sound with this girl, and I aforesaid out tatty, 'F---, now I'm a f---ing dupe. I'm not just an idiot [for falling for you], I'm a f---ing fool,' " he recounted. "I don't care what anybody says, when you're hanging out with celebrities, you never expect to get mired with them emotionally, no matter how much you like them. When you're rolling with someone, and suddenly it's 4 a.m. and the cameras are turned off of the television set show they've got or whatever, and they share something with you where you want to protect them, it changes sh-- and it can have scary.


"This album is kind of � I hate to sound corny � but it's kind of a mature look at Hollywood," he continued. "I fell in love with Hollywood, the city itself, in a Randy Newman sort of way. So I guess the album is around a change of things: di-- vacillation in Hollywood and acting tougher than you in truth might be."


Hughes said that, for the first time, he mat up pressure header into the recording process. "I truly believe if you want to keep back doing what we're doing in this business, you've got to grow," he said. "You have to go somewhere � you have to be on a curve, not on a line."


Despite this being the band's third criminal record, Hughes said it was the most difficult to make.


"I've never had anything to lose before," he said. "Not that it's a good one, but I have got some sort of reputation, and I could fluorine that up doing the wrong thing. That's on the spur of the moment a considerateness that's never been salute before that's going to affect everything. The fast one was eruditeness how to give appropriate time to certain things, but what I'm glad to see is in truth, on this record, it's the same story: deuce best friends having a sh--s-and-giggles good time making rock and roll."


Eagles of Death Metal will circuit in September with the Hives.







More info